Calls for UK public inquiry into ‘hounding’ of ex-Cambridge academic Jason Arday
Following the news of his death on Friday, which police are not treating as suspicious, his family and friends have denounced "a campaign of sustained abuse" since his 2023 appointment as a professor at Cambridge University.
More than 31,000 people, including several MPs, have signed a petition urging UK Prime Minister Andy Burnham to hold a public inquiry into alleged media harassment of the late academic Jason Arday, organisers said.
The petition was launched by the Good Law Project activist group after Arday, who was appointed three years ago as the youngest-ever black professor at Cambridge University, was found dead on Friday.
The project had been supporting Arday since he resigned earlier this month from the university and as a fellow of Jesus College after both institutions launched investigations into allegations of plagiarism and fabricating or exaggerating his life story.
"There cannot be any doubt that Dr Arday's tragic death was the direct, foreseeable and foreseen result of press harassment," the Good Law Project wrote on its website.
"A significant element in that harassment was the colour of his skin," it said, adding "there cannot be any doubt that racism lay at the heart of this story."
The allegations against Arday, 41, had received widespread media coverage from the UK press after another academic, self-defined "race realist" Nathan Cofnas, who was sacked from his Cambridge role in 2024, said in July he found numerous instances of plagiarism in the professor's work.
British media and right-wing commentators seized on the row, claiming Arday, who disputed the allegations, had unfairly benefited from diversity, equality and inclusion (DEI) policies.
And a fundraising campaign to support his family has already raised almost £89,000 (€104,000).
Yenibakis-Europe